Are you interested in the impact of global processes on the religious identity formation of people? Or do you want to know how Christian practices and beliefs can contribute to good life? Are you looking for an opportunity to dive into a specific theological topic in search of new insights? The Protestant Theological University offers you this opportunity. As of 1 July 2021 we offer a full time position for contract PhD candidate.
About the job
As a PhD candidate you will work on your research topic at the PThU in Amsterdam or Groningen. You will do this in the framework of one or more of our two overarching research programmes: Mediating Good Life and Moving Identities.
What do we expect from you?
As a PhD candidate you collect, analyse and interpret research data. Subsequently you are expected to write a PhD thesis, in coordination with your supervisor. Throughout the process you regularly share your research results with scholars, professionals and the general public through, for example, paper presentations at research conferences and publications in academic and professional journals.
For this you should have:
- a master’s degree in theology or any related field comparable to a Dutch research-based master’s degree
- knowledge from disciplinary developments and the willingness to participate in meetings, courses and other kinds of training activities offered by the PThU Graduate School and/or NOSTER
- affinity with theological research from the profile and perspective of the Protestant Theological University
- to write a research proposal of 8 to 10 pages in the language of your proposed PhD thesis (English, Dutch, German or French). Look at the format for a research proposal. We will assess the proposal on its quality, innovative character, viability, feasibility and the extent to which it fits into one of our research programmes
What do we offer?
At the PThU you will work in a context in which the fascination for what belief and religion actually do with people is central. Out of that fascination we work on relevant research on the developments in beliefs, church and Christianity worldwide. We train students to be the future ministers of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands as well as general theological experts, and provide post-academic training for ministers and chaplains.
We offer our contract PhD candidates the following:
- An employment contract of 1.0 fte (full time equivalent) for one year (workweek of 38 hours). After a positive result of the assessment of progress an extension of 2.5 to 3 years will be offered.
- Your salary will be according to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (salary scale 10). This starts from a gross salary of € 2,395 per month in the first year of employment to a maximum gross salary of € 3,061 per month.
- You will have a specific budget for conference and symposia participation as well as for any other competence training activities.
Would you like to learn more about the application procedure or content of these vacancies?
Contact one of our research programme leaders:
- Mediating Good Life: Professor Henk de Roest, firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Benno van den Toren, email@example.com
- Moving Identities: Professor Heleen Zorgdrager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like to apply for this job?
Before 15 May 2021, please send us your motivation letter, research proposal, curriculum vitae and a recommendation letter of one of the full professors of the Protestant Theological University, expressing his or her preparedness to be your PhD thesis supervisor. You can send your application to email@example.com.
Job interviews will be held on 8 June 2021 at the PThU in Groningen/Amsterdam or online.