Home/Education/Exchange programme
Albert Nijboer, International Officer
Drs. Albert Nijboer
International Officer en Ambtelijk Secretaris CWB

Apply for exchange programme

You must apply before 1 June.

You can apply for a student exchange period at the Protestant Theological University, location Groningen, if your home university has an official exchange agreement with our university. As an exchange student you do not need to pay a tuition fee at the PThU, but you will continue to pay tuition at your home institution. Furthermore, the credits earned at PThU will be recognised at your home institution, after completing your exchange period.

When interested to study at the Protestant Theological University in the Netherlands it is important to know that the university only offers English-taught courses at its campus in Groningen and exclusively at a master's level. For that reason we only accept applications from master students (or from bachelor students with a sufficient command of Dutch). Exchange students can choose to study in Groningen during the first semester (September – January) or for a full academic year. Here you can find more information about the English-taught Master of Theology programme. 

How to apply?

  1. If your university is an exchange partner of the PThU you can apply for a study abroad period at the International Office of your home university.
  2. After you have been selected for an exchange to Groningen, the international coordinator / exchange officer of your university will nominate you as a candidate.
  3. Based on your nomination you are provisionally accepted as an exchange student at the PThU. The International Officer will send you an application form. You will need to send your application together with the following documents to the International Officer of PThU, Mr. A.S. Nijboer (a.s.nijboer@pthu.nl):
    • a Learning Agreement (only for Erasmus students, provided by your home university)
    • a study proposal, including the courses you wish to follow at PThU (not applicable for Erasmus students)
    • an official academic transcript, in English, showing credits and grades obtained so far
    • a motivation letter in English (300 words)
    • an English language certificate
    • a copy of your Bachelor’s degree
    • a copy of your passport or EU identity card
    • digital passport photo
  4. After receiving your application form and attached documents, we will send you your 'letter of acceptance' by e-mail and register you as an exchange student at the PThU.
  5. The dean of students will contact you regarding your learning agreement or study proposal.

Before arriving to Groningen you will also need to send a Copy of a health insurance policy or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to the international officer of PThU.